Homecoming VI Key Features
This year's interactive programing will excite, inform, and engage expats.
Join city leaders as you learn about some of the innovative programming that is supporting Detroit students.
- Visit the Marygrove P-20 Campus, opening this fall. The cradle-to-career program includes a teacher training component modeled after hospital residency programs. Have lunch with students and hear from The Kresge Foundation, University of Michigan and other stakeholders who are bringing the program to life.
- Tour the Durfee Innovation Society. The former Durfee Elementary-Middle School has been remodeled as dynamic space for community programs, including Beyond Basics, which provides literacy tutoring services to elementary, middle and high schools in Detroit. Read with students and hear from educators.
Real Estate: Hear from the most prominent industry voices in Detroit about the state of the real estate market in the city.
- First, gather insight: The new Shinola Hotel is the setting for a panel discussion introduced by Dennis Bernard, founder and president of Bernard Financial Group, featuring:
- Paula Carethers, Detroit Development Manager, Ford Motor Co.
- Dietrich Knoer, President & CEO, The Platform
- Mark Bennett, Managing Director, MJBEnnett PLLC
- Sherry Wang, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group
- After the panel discussion, attendees will hop on a bus for a narrated tour of Ford’s Corktown campus and a look inside Platform’s Chroma building.
ThursdayEntrepreneurship: Hot Startups Get an inside look at some of the hottest startups in Detroit and hear from the entrepreneurs who built them.
- StockX: Visit the company’s sneaker-trading hub in Corktown and hear from the executives who are growing Detroit’s unicorn.
- Bon Bon Bon: Step inside the Detroit artisan chocolatier’s factory and make your own treats using Detroit-centric ingredients (Better Made Bon, anyone?)
- Floyd: Tour the Detroit furniture maker’s R&D center in Eastern Market and learn about the latest products in development.
Philanthropy See firsthand some of the innovative projects supported by some of the region’s most active nonprofits.
- Tour the site of Dutch designer Piet Oudolf’s Belle Isle garden and hear the vision behind the project.
- Check out the Detroit riverfront, including a stop at Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Centennial Park, and hear about a bold initiative to boost attendance in youth recreation in the city.
- Visit Tiny Homes Detroit and Ford Freight Farm, two unique programs that support Detroiters, managed by Cass Community Social Services.
Design Get an inside look at why Detroit is truly a “City of Design”
- At the Detroit Institute of Arts, see plans for Detroit Square, the winning concept in a competition to build a cohesive art and culture district in Detroit.
- Visit the Inclusive Futures exhibit that’s part of the Detroit Design 139 competition and hear about efforts to use inclusive design to create a more equitable and sustainable city.
- Explore prototypes of Detroit City of Design winning designs at Beacon Park and hear more about the project inside Lumen Detroit.
FridayEntrepreneurship: Social Enterprises These startups and the individuals behind them are helping to solve social and cultural problems in Detroit.
- Rebel Nell makes unique jewelry from reclaimed graffiti but, more importantly, employs disadvantaged women in the city. Hear from its founder and tour its studio while also hearing from the leaders of other social enterprises: Bags to Butterflies and York Project.
- The Industrial Sewing and Innovation Center, known as ISAIC, is tasked with growing the city’s clothing manufacturing industry. Get a glimpse inside its soon-to-open headquarters above Carhartt’s midtown retail shop and hear about efforts to build a fashion hub in Detroit.
Mobility Travel by bike, scooter, QLine … there are several “mobile” options to get you to this experience!
- Ever controlled an autonomous vehicle? Now’s your chance. Take a ride in a demo vehicle powered by Dataspeed, a Detroit-area company that powers autonomous vehicles.
- Test drive a Cadillac equipped with Super Cruise technology for a hands-free freeway driving experience.